Guide for Driving on Snowy Roads
Points to note on winter roads Road surface conditions that change with location and time
Q1 Why do we need to be careful on winter Expressway?
A1 Road conditions change depending on the location and time!
Winter road conditions vary depending on various factors, such as time of day and location. Check carefully for important points where tires are particularly slippery on Expressway.
- On a bridge or in a tunnel
- The temperature on the bridge and the entrance of the tunnel is lower than other places, and it is a dangerous place where the road surface is slippery. If you are approaching such a place, slow down enough in front of you and drive with more caution than usual.
- Morning and evening hours
- Even if the road surface is only wet in the daytime, it becomes slippery at night when the temperature drops. Be aware that driving in the morning and evening when the temperature drops is completely different from that in the daytime, so be careful.
- Even when no snow is seen at the time of departure, the road surface conditions will change every moment if conditions such as location and time change. Now, it is sunny, so be careful not to be too cold and drive carefully while watching the road conditions.
- Related Links
Q2 What should I pay attention to?
A2 Know the condition of the road and drive according to the situation!
There are several types of roads at Expressway in winter, and the points to be aware of are different. Know the condition of the road correctly and try to drive according to the situation.
- Beware of solid snow and sherbet
- A "compact snow" road surface created by compacting fresh snow that has accumulated can be run if winter tires are installed, but care must be taken because it is more slippery than ordinary road surfaces. On the other hand, if the snow falls when the temperature is relatively high, the snow will not be compacted and a sherbet-like road surface with a lot of moisture will be formed. In this case, careful handling is required because the handle is taken off by the melting snow and it becomes slippery.
- Don't worry if the road is black!
- In addition, when the snow melts and the water freezes again, it creates a slippery and dangerous ice-covered road called "Iceburn". The most notable of these is the "Black Ice Barn", where the road surface looks frozen and black. In the case of snow or a normal ice burn, the road surface looks white, but in the case of a black ice burn, the road surface simply looks wet, so it is very dangerous because you often do not notice freezing. Never be relieved if the road surface looks black, and use extreme caution.
★ One point from NEXCO CENTRAL!
We are taking measures for Safety on the Expressway in winter
- NEXCO CENTRAL is taking various measures to ensure safe driving on winter Expressway. For example, there are warning signs for slippery areas, self-luminous snow poles that guide the gaze with light when the view is blocked by snow, and road heating in cold regions (photographs).