Vehicle restriction order
The Road Law and the Vehicle Restriction Ordinance stipulate the maximum size (the general limit value) of the size and weight of vehicles passing on the road in order to maintain the structure of the road and prevent traffic danger. Passing vehicles that exceed the general limits (vehicles that violate the Vehicle Restriction Ordinance) can cause serious damage to the road and serious consequences in the event of an accident.
|Vehicle specifications||General limits (highest limit)|
(4.1 meters for designated roads) *
|Gross weight||20 tons
(25 tons on expressway national roads or designated roads) *
|Axle load||10 tons|
|Minimum turning radius||12 meters|
- * Details about height designated roads and weight designated roads
- * Some models have special weight and length rules.
- Special vehicles are required to pass vehicles that exceed the general limits of the Vehicle Restrictions Ordinance.
- About "Special vehicle traffic permission system" (http://www.ktr.mlit.go.jp/kyoku/road/tokusya/index.htm) (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism website)
- Please note that when you pass on the road, you may need to apply for permission / application based on other laws and regulations as well as special vehicle traffic permission based on the Vehicle Restriction Order.